I hate spending time reading about the plot of a book on review sites - just tell me, Did you like it or not?

Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Accidental Sorcerer

The Accidental Sorcerer (Rogue Agent #1)

Published Jan. 1, 2009 by Orbit (first published 2008)
I wanted to like this book. I really did. I was excited when it started out so great: humble magician gets a Bruce Banner-type zap and taps into huge reservoir of magic to become a super-sorcerer. Cool.
But then I started getting into the meat of the story - and it was flimsy. I wanted steak ...nah, a hamburger would have done, but all I got was tofu. Plain.

Blech.

My biggest complaint was the writing. Everything was italicized. It got annoying. The characters would talk to each other so intensely, but NOTHING was really said. (Note to authors ... overuse of italics is ANNOYING!!) And if you're British, the swearing was off the charts. And unnecessary. It did nothing to further the story.

And the characters ... ugh! The only one I even slightly liked was Monk. He was smart and funny - and mostly absent from the story, so he didn't have time to bug me! I despised Reg (the bird) intensely. She had nothing positive to say, ever. And Princess Melissande - the poster child for denial. Unlikeable characters, all. Even the minor characters were hateful.

I will not be reading anymore in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment