I hate spending time reading about the plot of a book on review sites - just tell me, Did you like it or not?

Monday, July 1, 2013

Sisters Red

Sisters Red (Fairytale Retellings #1)

by

Published June 7, 2010, by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers


I finished this book a couple of days ago, and the more I think about it, the more I am not thrilled with it, but I'll still give it 3 stars - I'm feeling generous.
Why the underwhelming feeling? It's the ending. The whole book rocks (hence the 3 stars) - until the last 25 pages or so. Great action, decent pacing (sometimes it gets slow), character development is pretty strong, plot is intriguing.
The whole book revolves around answering the question: Who is the Potential? And once that question is answered, things come to a head. Exciting, exciting, exciting. What will happen?? But then ... nuttin'. The whole denouement was a bait and switch for me - a Just Kidding resolution. It was not organic. It didn't flow or even match the pacing and style of the rest of the book. Even the Epilogue wasn't very good. Everything that the epilogue told us about what the sisters were doing after the end of the main story was completely opposite of what the whole book taught us about the personalities and thinking of the sisters.
Also, the blurb on the back of the book says that there was "a sizzling romance" contained inside. Meh. I didn't see it. There was a love story - but it wasn't developed well.
There is some unnecessary strong swearing. The f-bomb is dropped a few times - I guess to give the story more of an urban, gritty feel. No sex, which was nice. Also, it was pretty dark and twisty and had some gory parts.
I'm not sure I will read any more by Jackson Pearce.

No comments:

Post a Comment