I hate spending time reading about the plot of a book on review sites - just tell me, Did you like it or not?

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Girl of Fire and Thorns


The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns #1)

by

423 pages

Published Sept., 20, 2011 by Greenwillow


I liked this book - enough to give it 3 stars. Maybe even 4. I can recommend it for many reasons, not the least of which is that there is a good message in it: Work as if everything depends on you and pray as if everything depends on God.
I love how the protagonist, Elisa, grows up and comes into her own. She gains confidence in herself and in her beliefs. She doesn't necessarily care what people think of her - especially of her piety. I think in this day and age, that is a rare thing - people look condescendingly at people who believe in God and think belief in a higher being is a quaint, old-fashioned and meaningless pursuit. This book strives to dispel that erroneous way of thinking.
I also love the fact that the handsome king turns out to be weak and the fat girl ends up the strong one. Usually books, especially teen fiction, equates beauty with strength. Another erroneous belief!
I will likely read the next in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment