I hate spending time reading about the plot of a book on review sites - just tell me, Did you like it or not?

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Sorcerers of the Nightwing


Sorcerers of the Nightwing (The Ravenscliff #1)

So I got done reading this a few days ago, and it’s been stewing in my brain ever since – invading my dreams (nay, nightmares).  I’m trying to figure out just what I liked so much about this book, since it’s not the type of book I read regularly. It’s all dark and twisty and slightly disturbing. But occasionally, I am in the mood for something like this, especially after reading something super-saccharine, like Debbie Macomber.

This edition is a re-release of  the 1st edition, published in 2002 – and the cover of that book is deeply disturbing (and the reason I hate clowns). Had I seen that cover first, I probably wouldn’t have picked up the book. The revamped cover is less disturbing but still has a good creepy vibe to it – it will attract more readers, in my opinion. 

Sorcerers of the Nightwing is YA horror/paranormal at it’s best. The gloomy atmosphere, gross (but not gory) corpses/ghosts and town names like Misery Point add to its appeal. 

 

Teens who grew up on Goosebumps and who want a little more “creep factor” in their books will find this novel to their liking. It’s the next step in the horror progression, with Stephen King as reigning king. It is NOT a Juvenile Fiction book, though. It’s targeted towards older teens.

So a solid 3.5 stars – I docked it because pacing was a bit slow at times and the ending was confusing. Plus, a bit more background/development of the characters would have been helpful. But it is #1 in the Ravenscliff series, so more of that is probably in the successive books. Also, I HATE cliffhanger endings.

Thank you NetGalley and Diversion Books for the opportunity to review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment