I hate spending time reading about the plot of a book on review sites - just tell me, Did you like it or not?

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

At Home


At Home: A Short History of Private Life

3 stars

497 pages
Published Oct. 5, 2010 by Doubleday
 
I've given up on this book, which is sad because what I did read, I liked. It was just too long and too verbose, and I just couldn't get into it enough to read it all the way through.

The book details each room in Bryson's home in England, its history and reasons for the room's existence. I didn't even mind the various tangents Bryson travels on - since there is only so much information you can tell relating directly to a hall or kitchen, etc. Each chapter is chock full of trivial details all delivered in Bryson's patented dry wit. This is actually the first of his books that I haven't been able to finish.

I'm just glad I can return this book to the library and get it out of my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment