I hate spending time reading about the plot of a book on review sites - just tell me, Did you like it or not?

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Starry Night

Starry Night

by

3 stars

384 pages (on my e-reader, 142 pages)

Expected publication: Oct. 8, 2013 by Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine


Debbie Macomber has made a name for herself writing sweet, little love stories using a formula that guarantees a happy, uplifting ending. If you are looking for angst-ridden romances strewn with sex, language and grit, Macomber is not for you. I happen to like these innocent, little novels. But not every day … or even every month. Her plotlines are eerily similar, and if you read them one after another, this is easily seen. But as a guilty pleasure – or a palate cleanser after a particularly gruesome, bad or stupid book – these little novels are perfect.
Starry Night tells the story of a female journalist who is challenged with finding a reclusive, “no-interviews-ever” best-selling author who lives in Alaska. If she succeeds, she can have her pick of any beat at the newspaper. So … predictable? Of course it is. That’s why you read these books! You know what’s going to happen. The joy is in the journey. How do they get together?
My only gripe is that I wish that the romance were developed further. It seems that within 24 hours (if that), the two are madly in love. I like my love stories drawn out just a tad bit more.
And an Epilogue would have been appreciated, too.
Yet for all its shortcomings, I will be reading Macomber again. She’s a bit addictive.
Thank you NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine for the opportunity to review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment