I hate spending time reading about the plot of a book on review sites - just tell me, Did you like it or not?

Friday, May 17, 2013

Riso


Riso: Undiscovered Rice Dishes of Northern Italy


3 stars


For some reason, I didn't realize that rice was a staple in Northern Italy. I live in Southern Italy, where pasta and pizza rule all, so it was a delightful surprise to me that Italians elsewhere have embraced a grain other than wheat. (Although I do love a good pasta dish!) So discovering this rice cookbook was a treat.
I am intrigued that the cookbook contains more than risotto recipes, though I must admit that that was the reason I picked up this book. I love a good risotto. But now that I've looked over some of the other recipes, I'll have to branch out and a rice salad - Rice Salad with Chicken and Vegetables sounds pretty tasty.
The only thing I believe would improve the cookbook would be photographs of the dishes. I am a very visual person, and food lends itself so well to photos - it instructs the home cook just as much as the recipe itself. So to have photos absent is quite a disservice.
But other than that, I can recommend this cookbook to anyone who wants to explore Italian cuisine beyond that of pizza and pasta.
Thank you to NetGalley.com and Open Road Integrated Media for the chance to review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment