I hate spending time reading about the plot of a book on review sites - just tell me, Did you like it or not?

Monday, August 26, 2013

Delirium


Delirium (Delirium #1)

by

3 stars

441 pages 
Published Feb. 3, 2011 by HarperTeen 

Another dystopian, teen story. This one reminds me of Scott Westerfield's Uglies series.

Teens in society reach a certain age, then get a "procedure" that will make them "happy." But in reality it is taking away a key part of what it means to be human. In the Uglies books, it's free-will - trading being pretty for a stress-free lifestyle. In "Delirium," it's the ability to love - trading the threat of pain for numbness.

Besides the fact that this is a totally far-fetched idea (who wants to live in a world without love?), I really despised the ending. I know there is another book coming soon, but there were way too many loose ends left hanging. I don't mind cliff-hangers in books, but you gotta give me something.

Also, there is swearing in this book. Totally unnecessary and quite distracting. Oliver has created a world of numbness, and in that world, there should be no need for swearing. Swearing is a mark of a passionate mind. The author just sticks them in ... the words don't jive with the feel of the book. Hated that part.

But I'll probably read the next book when it comes out, just to satisfy my curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment