I hate spending time reading about the plot of a book on review sites - just tell me, Did you like it or not?

Friday, August 23, 2013

Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads

Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads

30th Anniversary Edition, 704 pages
Published Nov. 25, 2003 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1987)
I love this cook book! I got this for my birthday a few years ago and it's my go-to bread baking cookbook. It is chock-full of recipes that I actually want to bake. Everything from basic loaf bread to sopapillas, crackers, and ethnic breads.

It doesn't go extensively into method, but I wasn't looking for that. It's very easy to read, and I like Clayton's writing style. It's very down to earth and friendly. I also like how the author heartily approves of substitutions. Some authors won't even entertain the notion. 

I've made fabulous dinner rolls, bread bowls, potato rolls, sandwich bread, sweet cinnamon bread, hamburger buns, and many other recipes. I am happy to report that they all turned out exceptionally well.

This is a must-have for any serious, or wannabe serious baker.

No comments:

Post a Comment